30 September 2010

Sunday stops...

After attending my great uncle's 80th Birthday party, B and I took the route home that we only travel a couple of times a year.  We love coming this way, especially in the fall, because even though our favorite stops aren't far from home, we are rarely up in that area. Our first stop was at the Country Smokehouse in Almont.   They have a great meat counter, jerky and snack sticks, BBQ sauces and packaged goods.  But their packaged goods are GOOD packaged goods.  On our stop there this past Sunday, I was checking out the newest selection of soups they stock.  I wish I would have bought more of this because it was fantastic, but we were a little pressed for time and I just couldn't make up my mind on another flavor.  This company is incredible.  All natural, gluten free, no preservatives and $5.99.  I don't mind spending that on something to healthy.  The company is called Frontier Soups, but don't let the name fool you.  Oh, no.  They also carry Pasta Salads, Cornbread, and Appetizers & Dips.  We brought home the Mississippi Delta Tomato Basil.  It made like 10 cups.  Lots for left over lunches.  All you add is a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and 2 T. Brown sugar.  Let it simmer for 20-30 minutes and your are eating.  It was so simple.  I made garlic bread and a salad and we were in business!  What a great find.  I highly recommend it!  I also bought 2 different kinds of a crock pot soup brand, so I will be reviewing those soon too!

On the weekends (through the end of October this year!!  Yippee!!!!)  they have their smoker trailer out front with picnic tables and all.

You can order brisket or pulled pork sandwiches, smoked sausages and I can't remember what else, because I never get past the brisket and pork.  As you already know, my dad loves to smoke for a hobby, so we always stop and get some to give him ideas (we really just need him to meet us there some night)  They serve the sandwiches on these great sour dough rolls.  It's so worth it people.  If you are in the area in the summer on a weekend, stop, you will not regret it!  For more info, you can click on the link I gave you above and search the left column for Weekend BBQ!  Dad, if you are reading this, their smoke doesn't hold a candle to yours!  It's good, but yours is way better, you could give them lessons!

Our next stop was at Blake's Farm Market!  I can't believe we made it before the last week of October this year.  I had just bought apples, so sadly, we did not bring any home, but I will be sure to stop again before the season is out.  We got a caramel apple, 2 gallons of cider, and some cider donuts for a treat.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment