28 September 2010

September is National Sewing Month!

I didn't even know that until I went to Jo Ann's for a quick peek last week.  It makes sense though, because all I want to do right now is sew like a maniac.

I was making a list of all the sewing projects that I want to get to and realized that before I even thought about looking through patterns I really needed to get a BIG monkey off my back so I could enjoy working on new things without feeling guilty.  (I actually typed quilty instead of guilty and couldn't figure out why it looked funny, DUH!)  Remember this post?  Now think about if you have heard me mention any progress on my first ever quilt since then.  Yep, can't remember right?  Well, I've spent a few afternoons and evenings working on it lately, and am pleased to report that I have completed the quilting, sewn the binding to the front of the quilt and thoroughly enjoyed sitting under it while I hand stitch the binding to the back!  The hand stitching actually went so much faster than I expected.  But my next quilt is for sure going to a long arm quilter!  I told Brian that I have no idea what possessed me to do it myself and that I would NEVER take on something of that scale myself again.  All in all, I am happy that I did it, I learned a lot.  It's not perfect by any means, but I love it and it was a great learning experience.  Jiggy enjoyed napping on it WHILE I was quilting it and Brian has already told me that it's his.  Um, ok, not sure if pink and flower prints are exactly your colors, but I'm glad that it will be used and enjoyed and broken in.  I think that it will make a great beach blanket someday.

I took it up north to show it off and the family enjoyed snuggling under it too!

Sophie found Stormy as soon as they got to Gabby & Gups house










I love how it turned out.



I have already picked out my next quilting project too, big surprise, right?  I saw it on the cover of a quilting magazine and decided that the fabric bundle I got last Christmas would make a good combination.  It's not going to be as big as the one on the magazine because I will only have 24 squares instead of 36, but that's ok, I might improvise a bit.

My Uncle Paul and his dog Stella having a snuggle

In the midst of hand stitching the binding to my quilt, I took a 3 hour quilting class last week and I learned a lot.  I need to learn some of the technical stuff before I get much further in my newest obsession.  I have added an Accu Quilt GO! to my Christmas list and really hope I get one!  There is  an intro class at Jo Ann's in a couple of weeks, so I am going to check it out some more then, but I'm sure it's only going to make me want one more!   Geez, Christmas is SO far away still!  How will I survive?

No comments:

Post a Comment